Thursday 8 May 2014

The Pensive Palette: Teacher as Student

The Pensive Palette: Teacher as Student


Untitled | 4 1/2” x 4 1/2” | watercolour on paper

I’ve had some wonderful opportunities to teach art.  It is an honor and privilege to be in a position of having something you can share with others.  The greatest gift of teaching is witnessing the moment when another person “gets it” for themselves.  The piece of information that was alluding them is finally uncovered and understood, and they can move forward with a clearer view of their own truth.

Another gift of teaching is the unexpected things we learn while teaching.  Along with a greater understanding and respect for those who have taught me, I have gained a greater understanding of who I am and, perhaps more importantly, who I want to be.  Sometimes I feel a bit guilty that I may have gotten more from teaching than the students who took the class.  Of course, hours of grading takes care of that!

This is a watercolor piece I did for students as an assignment demonstration in a colour theory class.  This experiment inspired me to continue to work on a series of abstract colour pieces— the teacher as student!

No comments:

Post a Comment